Ansar al-Sunnah issued five communiqués and a seven-minute video today, October 5, 2005, announcing the execution, depicted in the film, of two of the ?biggest spies? in Baghdad, and claims responsibility of several bombing operations and confrontations targeting American and Iraqi forces in Kirkuk, Arab Jabour, and al-Owja.
- The first communiqué states that two spies, each allegedly heading a ?network composed of 30 sources (spies)? in Baghdad, and working with Americans, were investigated and summarily executed, ?by Allah?s rules.? The group warns that those who do not ?come back to your religion and repent? will also be slaughtered. The video depicts the beheading of the two men.
- An improvised explosive device (IED) was detonated in the area of al-Rashad, western Kirkuk, on an American Humvee, allegedly killing those soldiers inside.
- According to the third message, the leader of the National Guards, named as ?Anwar,? escaped an ambush the mujahideen had set for him in the middle of Kirkuk; however, a convoy of guards was hit in the explosion of the IED in the ambush. Ansar al-Sunnah promises the National Guard leader: ?You escaped this time, but you will be eliminated next time, God willing.?
- The fourth message describes confrontations between the group and National Guards in Arab Jabour, south of Baghdad, destroying vehicles and confiscating one pick-up truck contained ?plenty of weapons and converters? gear.? As a result of the attacks, the message claims that fifteen guards were killed.
- An IED was detonated on the side of a road in al-Owja, near Tikrit, allegedly destroying an American Humvee and killing four soldiers inside.
The video clip and a full translation of the five messages are provided to our Intel Service members.