Al-Qaeda in Iraq, in five communiqués issued today, January 3, 2005, claims responsibility for attacks including a suicide bombing, detonation of an improvised explosive device (IED), and firing of mortars upon ?Crusader? and Iraqi forces in Baquba, al-Mosul, and Baghdad:
- The first communiqué describes a suicide bombing yesterday morning, targeting a bus carrying approximately fifty police volunteers in Baquba. According to the message the bus was destroyed, in addition to a Humvee that was protecting the vehicle.
- In an attack on Saturday, December 31, a member of the Iraqi security force was killed and two injured at a checkpoint in al-Dawra.
- A ?Crusader spy plane? was shot down Monday in the area of al-Sabtiya, near Baquba.
- The fourth communiqué states that an improvised explosive device (IED) was detonated on an Iraqi police convoy in al-Mosul, after which a confrontation ensued between the mujahideen and police. The message indicates: ?Most of them (the police) were killed and injured.?
- The fifth message states that the police academy in al-Mosul was struck Sunday with mortar shells.
A translation of the five messages is provided to our Intel Service members.