Given the heightened alert issued by the government on Wednesday, we have decided to release a partial translation of a past issue of the Al-Battar Magazine, originally released in March 2004. This issue in particular discusses how to choose targets inside cities, such as economic and diplomatic targets, and expounds upon the pros and cons of such attacks. It also ranks human targets by order of importance, placing Americans as the top targets.
Below is the translation of a portion of the manual.
NOTE: The following materials are for informational purposes only and may not be copied, reproduced, or transmitted without the explicit permission of the SITE Institute nor without specific attribution to the SITE Institute.
TARGETS INSIDE CITIES
Types of Targets within the Cities:
1. Targets with an ideological aspect: The use of force is not recommended at the beginning of a military jihadi operation against religious ideological targets except in some cases such as:
? Christianization of pure Islamic communities, like what happened in Yemen, in Iraq, and in Saudi Arabia - specifically in Riyadh - where Bibles were recently distributed to residences. Hunting down and killing whoever is responsible for performing such an act is a good thing. These people?s identity is known to the Mujahideen, and we ask God to facilitate the task of going after them.
? Undercover spying operations under any disguise, even if it was religious. Dealing with spiritual and religious Islamic figures, even if they were spies, should be done in a way to avoid a violent reaction from Muslims who were misled by those agents. Hitting them will only glorify and make symbols out of them. May God?s anger fall upon them.
? One of the exceptions also is publicity exercised by certain religious figures such as ministers, priests and rabbis, in which they attack Islam and Muslims. An example of that is when that damned American minister cursed the prophet of God - may God enable us to kill him -, as Sayyid Nossair - may God release him from his imprisonment - killed Rabbi Kahane - may he be cursed for cursing the prophet.
? One other exception is a financial, military or moral mobilization of ideological figures (Jews and Christian) against Muslims.
2. Economic targets: The goals of hitting those targets are to create a disruption in the stability required for moving the economic sector towards progression. This was accomplished by hitting the petroleum wells and pipes in Iraq, which kept foreign companies away from touching the oil, or at least created an absence of security and stability needed to steal the Muslims? wealth. Another goal is to withdraw or force the withdrawal of foreign capitals from the local market. The economic powers present on the site of conflict have been badly affected. As a result to the blessed strikes in Madrid, for instance, the entire European economy suffered. That was a double strike to the economy of the governments of the Crusaders, the Jews or the apostates. Following are some practical examples covering that side:
? Hitting the investments operations of the Jews and the Christians in the Muslim countries.
? Hitting the international corporations.
? Hitting the international experts in economy
? Hitting the imports brought from enemy crusader countries by taking military actions -such as bombing and burning some American restaurants - or by resorting to political means such as boycott.
? Hitting raw materials stolen from the Muslim countries, as was the case with the French Petroleum vessel, and the petroleum pipes in Iraq. This type of strikes is determined by the supreme leaders as they are the ones monitoring such actions.
? Assassination and liquidation of Jews active in the economic field, and disciplining whomever deals with them economically, but only after issuing a warning to them. Only collaborators will be assassinated.
3. Human targets: ?We must target and kill the Jews and the Christians, as we say to each combatant of God, his prophet and the believers: We come to slaughter you. Nowadays, we must not be limited by boundaries, or be separated by geography, as each Muslim home is our home, and their territories are our territories. We must transform the Blasphemers? homes into hell as they did to the Muslim countries. (If you punish, do it the same way you were punished). Therefore, all active entities in the whole world should discard the geographic boundaries set by the enemies. They need to persevere in turning the Blasphemers? countries into war zones, and keep the blaspheming countries and their agents busy with their issues, as they turned the Muslim countries into experimental fields for their weapons and inventions. Transforming their territories into hell and destruction is a must. With God?s permission, the sons of the Muslim nation are capable of accomplishing that.
High priority in such operations is given to Jewish and Christian Officials in the Muslim countries. The goal is to prevent them from settling down in the Muslim territories. It is recommended in the beginning to spot easy targets that are not protected. Communities from blaspheming countries directly involved in supporting local apostates are given the highest level of priority. For instance, in Saudi, Americans are our primary target, followed by the British. In Iraq it is the Americans. In Afghanistan: the Americans. In Algeria: The French. In Indonesia: The Australians, and so on…
Human targets sorted by level of importance:
1. The Jews: They are divided in grades with respect to importance: American and Israeli Jews are first targeted, then British Jews, then French Jews, and so on...
2. The Christians: The grades of importance are as follows:
The above categories are divided into sections with respect to importance:
? Financial, Economic, and Businessmen, as money is of the essence in this era.
? Diplomats, politicians, intellectuals, analysts and political missions.
? Scientists and experts.
? Military commanders and soldiers.
? Tourists, and recreational groups, and every person who has been warned by the Mujahideen not to enter Muslim territories.
3. The apostates: They are graded as follows:
? Whoever is close to the Jewish and Christian Governments is considered one of the most important targets, such as Hosni Moubarak and the rulers of the Arab Peninsula and their advisors.
? Seculars and modernists who spread corruption within the believers, and mock religion. Those bastards are considered the hypocrites of the fifteenth century.
? Spies and investigators, as they are the shields and the fences of the Jews and Christians and they are the striking hand for the apostate rulers.
PURPOSES OF STRIKING HUMAN TARGETS
1. Clarification of the nature of the ideological conflict, as it shows in our targeting the Jews and the Christians.
2. Showing the main enemy. This may be part of the first purpose.
3. Getting rid of the insolent apostates, purifying the Land, relieving the country and its subjects from them, as well as stopping their peers.
4. Spreading terror in the enemy ranks, as it is essentially mentioned in the law of God and is a duty imposed by the honorable verse: (Prepare all the power that you can get, and the horse reins to terrify the enemy of God and your enemy with).
5. Lifting the spirits of the Islamic ?Ummah? [nation].
6. Destroying the imposing image of the system that the strikes were against, as after the New York and Washington strikes, the United States nose was rubbed in the dirt.
7. Disrupting the blasphemers and apostates? political projects: As had happened after bombing the Italians in Iraq, when Italy refrained from sending soldiers to Iraq, and as recently the Spanish Prime Minister made a commitment to withdraw his forces from Iraq after the Madrid bombing.
8. Punishing them for killing Muslims, as the above God said: (If you punish, do it the same way you were punished).
CHARACTERISTICS OF SPECIAL OPERATIONS INSIDE THE CITIES:
1. Lifting the ?Ummah? and the Mujahideen?s spirits, and bringing down, rather destroying the enemies? spirits with the grace of God.
2. Asserting the credibility of the group (Islamic) before the society. The fact that these operations take place in the cities enables people to witness the struck targets, then the media will not be able to mislead them.
3. Disabling the regime and stopping it from pursuing its activities any further.
4. Showing the meaning of witnessing that there is no other God and that Mohammed is his Prophet, and realizing the unity.
5. The loss of influential individuals and symbols that is inflicted on those countries and regimes.
6. Affecting the economy of those countries.
7. Skills and qualifications that will be acquired by the Mujahideen, which will enable them to lead the ?Ummah? later on.
8. Studying and analyzing mistakes, and avoiding them in future operations with God?s permission.
9. Preparing the ?Ummah? and the group members for the confrontations and fierce battles that Al Mustafa -God prayed on him and gave him peace - had talked about.
10. Gaining more collaborators with every successful operation, and increasing the Mujahideen popularity.
11. Forcing the regime to change its policy.
12. Convulsing the trust amongst the regime members, as we mentioned before, the possibility of a clash between the military and the political departments, or forcing political parties to strike one another, as with the increase of the strikes - with God?s permission - the Government?s symbols will lose trust amongst each other.
DISADVANTAGES OF SPECIAL OPERATIONS INSIDE THE CITIES:
And we ask God to decrease those disadvantages, however, they must be mentioned in order to be avoided:
1. Assassination of the jihadi leaders and staff in case these operations were discovered.
2. Abundance of material and human losses.
3. Bringing down the Mujahideen?s spirits in case of failures, thus an experienced and smart leader is one who lifts the spirits of his subordinates regardless of the situation, as successes alternate in life and war.
4. Giving the regime an opportunity to use the operations against innocent people.
5. Lifting the spirits of the regime and its members when they win one of the battles, but successes alternate in life and war.
6. Capturing some of the members and staff, who might reveal some secret information on the nature of our activity.
7. Weakening the confidence amongst the people and the organization in case of recurrence of failed operations.
After having talked about and explained the importance of targets inside the cities, and having listed their characteristics as well as their disadvantages, and before mentioning the execution team, we must talk about the safest ways of communication amongst other groups involved in the activity. We say and God is our helper:
We previously mentioned the ?Dead Box? as a way of communication amongst the cells inside the cities. The chiefs of these cells receive instructions from the High Command through the ?Dead Box?, or through an indirect way of communication, and the Field Command sends out the instructions to the other groups via the dead boxes too.
The ?Dead Box? is a way of indirect communication between the parties…
THE ?DEAD BOX?
It is a place where materials of any nature can be left at (intelligence reports, weapons, equipment, and so on) for another individual to pick up without a direct contact between the two parties. The Box should match the cover or the disguise -meaning the appropriate security measures - taken by both the loading and unloading entities. It should allow frequent visits of both parties without raising any suspicion. It must be easily identifiable, quickly accessible, well protected from the elements, difficult to monitor by the enemy. It must be located in public places visited by a lot of people such as parks, museums, mosques, restaurants, hospitals and restrooms.
Copyright © 2004 SITE Institute. All Rights Reserved.