In five separate communiqués issued to the Internet today, June 8, 2005, al-Qaeda in Iraq through its official spokesman, Abu Maysara al-Iraqi, claims responsibility for a spate of attacks targeting American and Iraqi forces in al-Karma, al-Dawra, Samarra, and Talafar, including the assassination of the chief of police of Talkeif, Mosul.
- The first communiqué highlights the destruction of a Humvee today in al-Karma, east of Fallujah. According to the message, ?All who were in the Humvee were killed.?
- A bombing of a command center in al-Dawra today, near the bridge of al-Taboquein, is described in the second communiqué and included 2 minute video clip, which was carried out with ?25 mortar 60 bombs from two sides.?
- In the third message, the group describes ?confrontations? with American forces and members of the Iraqi National Guard in Talafar, northwestern Iraq. From alleged arrests of Sunni Muslims in Talafar, ?old or young,? the communiqué states that the ?mujahideen are defending themselves and attacking the quarters of filth and disbelief.?
- Also today, the fourth communiqué describes a bombing of a police station in Samarra, north of Baghdad.
- The fifth message congratulates al-Qaeda in Iraq?s Abu Bakr Brigade for an assassination operation today, whereas the group ?opened fire on the chief of police of Talkeif and shot him dead.?
A full translation of the five messages is provided to our Intel Service members.