In six separate communiqués issued today, June 28, 2005, al-Qaeda in Iraq claims responsibility for several attacks targeting American and Iraqi forces in Baquba, Samarra, Talafar, and al-Bakr Base, north of Baghdad:
- The first communiqué highlights an attack today on the Dyali Government Building in Baquba, which the ?American forces are using as its barracks,? with a Katyusha rocket.
- Also today in Baquba, the second message describes a bombing targeting a center of the Iraqi National Guards with 15 mortar shells.
- A suicide bombing at the al-Bakr Base of American forces north of Baghdad today, in the area of Abu Heshma. According to the message, ?a number of them [Americans] were killed and injured….?
- The fourth message describes an attack today on an Iraqi police station in Samarra, with mortar shells.
- Another attack on Iraqi police is highlighted in the fifth communiqué, which alleges that two were killed and ?the rest fled….?
- Yesterday, members of the group purport to have shot down a helicopter in the area of Ninawa in Talafar.
A full translation of the six messages is provided to our Intel Service members.