In five separate communiqués and an accompanying 2:30 minute video, Ansar al-Sunnah claims responsibility for attacks today, July 5, 2005, on members of the Iraqi National Guard in Shahraban and American forces in Haditha and Mosul, an operation last Friday targeting two female members of the Kurdish National Union in Mosul, and the bombing of an American tank in Samarra, Sunday, as depicted in the video..
- The first communiqué highlights a bombing operation today in Shahraban, eastern Iraq near the Iran border, targeting a car of the Iraqi National Guards. The message states that this is the fate of ?every converter… [and] He will be burnt by fire in this world before hell.?
- Also today, in Haditha, the group attacked American forces with mortar shells, one of which is alleged to have hit an American vehicle.
- According to the third message, an explosive package was detonated today on an American convoy traveling in al-Farouk section of Mosul, which resulted in damaging the American vehicle. The message states: ?All who were in it were killed or injured….?
- Last Friday, July 1, two female ?converted agents? from the ?computerized accounting section? of the Kurdish National Union were followed and shot and killed with machine guns. The group questions ?how many names of mujahideen were entered in your computers,? as well as asking how many of these names were delivered to the American and Iraqi officials.
- The fifth communiqué states that the accompanying video contains footage of the detonation of an explosive package on an American tank in Samarra, north of Baghdad.
A full translation of the five messages and videp clip are provided to our Intel Service members.