Al-Qaeda in Iraq [Tanzeem Qaedat Al-Jihad Fi Bilad Al-Rafidayn] issued five separate communiqués today, July 19, 2005, claiming responsibility for attacks targeting American and Iraqi forces in Baghdad, Mosul, and Talafar:
- The first communiqué states that yesterday, an American Humvee was destroyed in al-Dowr, north of Baghdad, as a result of an attack with a RPG 7 rocket.
- Also yesterday, the group alleges that the detonation of an explosive package in Talafar destroyed an American tank.
- Confrontations between the mujahideen of al-Qaeda in Iraq and the Iraqi National Guards are highlighted in the third communiqué, where the group alleges that four of the National Guards were killed.
- The forth communiqué describes a dual bombing operation yesterday, targeting American soldiers in Talafar. According to the message, one explosive package was detonated near the ?Ansar packaging center,? and the second was detonated when a Humvee arrived. The group alleges that ?not less than 7? were killed in these attacks.
- Confrontations between al-Qaeda and Iraq and Iraqi police in Mosul yesterday, resulting in ?killing and injuring some of the converters.?
A full translation of the five messages is provided to our Intel Service members.