In seven communiqués issued today, August 31, 2005, al-Qaeda in Iraq [Tanzeem Qaedat Al-Jihad Fi Bilad Al-Rafidayn] announces the joining with the Hassan al-Basri Brigades, warns American forces in al-Qaim, and claims responsibility for downing two helicopters, respectively in Fallujah and Talafar, assassinating an Iraqi official in Basra, and bombings on Iraqi forces in Baquba and Samarra:
- The first communiqué states that yesterday, an explosive was detonated on an Iraqi police patrol in the industrial district in Baquba, destroying a car and allegedly killing the six officers inside.
- The second message alleges that yesterday, a Chinook helicopter was shot down over Amereyat in al-Fallujah.
- Also yesterday, an Iraqi official was assassinated in Baquba.
- A car bomb was detonated yesterday on an Iraqi police patrol in Samarra, north of Baghdad, destroying a car and allegedly killing its occupants.
- The fifth communiqué states that an American helicopter was shot down in Talafar.
- In the sixth message, the group warns the American who ?committed an abominable crime? in al-Qaim, in air bombing the area of al-Karabla and purportedly killing many Muslims. As the attack is condemned, the group assails the Americans and states: ?you will not get away with your crime. With the permission of Allah, you will see the outcome.?
- The seventh message announces the joining of the Hassan al-Basri Brigades with al-Qaeda in Iraq, and states: ?we are continuing in the path of the jihad, we shall not give up the jihad, and we shall not quit the fight.?
A full translation of the seven messages is provided to our Intel Service members.