Al-Qaeda in Iraq, in five communiqués issued today, September 12, 2005, provides the status of the mujahideen in Tal Afar, and claims responsibility for assassinations of al-Ghadr members in al-Mosul and Tal Afar, and attacks on American and Iraqi forces in al-Mosul.
- The first communiqué provides an update on the ?Muslims? whereabouts? in Tal Afar, stating that suicidal operations are ongoing, explosives are being planted, and the enemy is being drawn into the cities and gang war, so as to ?avoid casualties of Muslims civilians, women, and children.? Further, the message alleges that the mujahideen which are shown captured on Iraqi television are actually innocent Sunnis aged fifteen and up.
- Four from al-Ghadr ?Badr? Brigade were purportedly killed yesterday in the Mithaq section of al-Mosul.
- According to the third message, additional members from al-Ghadr Brigade were executed Friday in Tal Afar. A car and weapons were confiscated during the operation.
- Seven Iraqi policemen and an unknown number from the ?crusaders? and Iraqi National Guard are alleged to have been killed in confrontations, yesterday, in al-Mosul. The group indicates that two from the mujahideen were killed in this attack.
- The fifth communiqué claims that a helicopter was damaged yesterday in al-Mosul, which ?eyewitnesses? said had fallen, but could not be verified by the group?s sources.
A full translation of the five messages is provided to our Intel Service members.